Type of project Self Initiated
Duration 5 Days
Role Worked Alone
Tools Use Case, Task Analysis, Paper Prototyping, Figma
In this project I attempted to add a feature to an existing app. I chose to work with Spotify and add a feature to make it possible to have a karaoke party with friends using the app. My potential users are millennial music lovers who are comfortable using technology. I wanted the final outcome to not interfere with the everyday use of the app but be easier to use than setting up a karaoke party with youtube and microphones/ a pricy karaoke kit.
With the corona crisis and bars being closed more and more people are looking for activities they can do together at home. A lot of people around me love going to karaoke parties and really miss going out and being silly. Organising a karaoke party at home can be expensive and the host of the party has to be in charge of the songs order, finding good karaoke videos on youtube or in a karaoke kit that are usually quite limited. This lead me to my problem statement:
Users & Audience
My potential users are Spotify users, they love music and hanging out with friends, They are tech savvy. They are mostly millennials (in their mid twenties til early forties). I’ve conducted an interview with 3 potential users for the feature, they are all spotify users and karaoke lovers, I’ve asked them about what makes a great karaoke party, what they care about the most when they want to pick and sing a song and got a lot of information that helped me come up with the feature. Some of the responses I got were:
“The most important things in a good karaoke are being able to sing together because well, that's just way more fun! , Having lyrics - everyone forgets the lyrics sometime and having a good variety to choose from”
“If Spotify has a karaoke function I’d like it to offer curated karaoke playlists by genre, decade, most popular karaoke songs, etc. Personally curated playlists with my favourite and top played and what my friends are listening to and singing.”
I’ve also created a persona - Sophia to further help me understand the user’s wants & needs, motivation and frustrations and design around her.
Scope & Constraints
The timeline for this project was 5 days. Because I worked with existing apps one of my major challenges was figuring out where in the app the feature will be. As a Spotify user who uses the app and desktop platforms daily I didn’t want the karaoke party feature to be in the main page in a way that would interrupt the daily use but also not to hide it too deep where users wouldn't know how to get to it, keeping that in mind I decided to place the feature in the “profile” page since it only has a few features in it and because your user name will be an important part of the karaoke feature.
The biggest challenge of this project though, was trying to design the feature that will use some technology that has not yet been invented (or at least used by Spotify) in a way that would be easy for users to figure out and stay in line with Spotify’s aesthetic and loved features (playlists and recommendations for example).
After gathering the data from my research I started up by creating use cases and conducting task analysis, looking at the task analysis I establishing that I will need 2 types of users to create a party - the host and the participant. I started ideating and thinking of the 2 flows. I’ve sketched a paper prototype to create the 2 user flows starting at the home page of Spotify, creating the part or joining in, searching for and adding songs to the queue, opening your microphone and singing along and also a pop up informing you when you’re about to leave the party.
Outcomes & Lessons
Since this was a theoretical project the outcome of this project was a prototype and the last step was conducting user testing which were quite successful. The users I tested with understood the process of creating a karaoke party through the app, how to add new songs to the queue and how it would work if the technology was available.
Overall at this point I am very pleased with the UX I produced and wish I could collaborate with engineers to see if the it’s possible to use the phone’s microphones as a karaoke microphone that will send over the sound to the same source that will play it all together! If the project was to be fulfilled the next ideas I’d test would be adding an option to record and gamification of hitting the notes while singing.